Is the Apple iPad a good choice for Tampa Bay Realtors?

August 31, 2010

iPad for RealtorsIn my opinion the Apple iPad is currently a waste of money for Tampa Bay Realtors. The main problem is that you can’t run Internet Explorer on the iPad. Apple has made sure that only their Safari browser works on the iPad, thus rendering the iPad useless for Tampa Bay Florida Realtors who depend on Internet Explorer to access the Multiple Listing System.

Yes, there are other bells and whistles the iPad offers that could be of benefit to Realtors, but without direct access to MLS I think most Realtors would find the price of the iPad to outweigh it’s value to them. Let’s all hope Apple addresses this issue in the future.

Filed Under: Articles · Tags: ,

Comments

16 Responses to “Is the Apple iPad a good choice for Tampa Bay Realtors?”

1. Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa on August 31st, 2010 11:01 pm

I am an old guy Chris, my eyes can’t see all those little buttons w/o glasses!
    My Son just got a 4g Sprint Evo with the Droid system, he loves it. It works very well all over the Tampa Bay area. He says the 4g is very fast.
    Chris

2. Simon Campbell on September 1st, 2010 12:07 pm

The iPad should be ready for IE in its next iteration, it has to be. I’m looking forward to it as well, as the possibility for realtors to use the iPad as a sales presentation device, and as a tool for keeping track of business, are just fantastic.

3. Round Rock Apartments on September 2nd, 2010 11:36 am

That’s typical of Apple and one of the main reasons I use a Blackberry instead of an iPhone. Companies like Apple (and yes, Microsoft does it too) seem to engineer incompatibility into their products to keep their competitors from gaining any advantage from the new device. I think the iPad is an amazing piece of technology and I wouldn’t mind owning one for recreation, but a serious business tool it is not (yet, anyway). Of course it would all be a moot point for realtors if the board would make the MLS compatible with something other than the WORST browser on the market!

4. Real Estate Hanoi on September 3rd, 2010 2:40 am

Interesting post you have here. I will purchase my iPad next week. I store my contract in Relay’s document management system. It’s web based, doesn’t use flash and stores pdf’s among other files. I think I can pull contracts that way. Apple also has mobile me. Verizon has a tool called My Wi-fi that I think will work w/the iPad. That’s one way to get mobile browsing. It’s also supposed to be more secure than public wi-fi (which scares me) and you can use it on the iPad(I think) and your exisiting laptop from any location. I haven’t put it to use yet. But it sounds good on paper!

Charles

5. Trust Deeds on September 7th, 2010 9:32 am

Good spotting on that one. I don’t own an iPad yet, so I did not know this. I thought IE could be run on the iPad; I assumed it could, but you just let me know something new today. So, thanks a lot 🙂

6. Ilya Zobanov on September 8th, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi, not sure about GTAR but I believe PRO now runs MLS on Safari as well. So you may be getting your MLS on there. There’re also varieties of remote operation applications, so you can get info your desktop from your iPad and run any program on that desktop through a window on your iPad… I’d check into it.
    iPads are great for Realtors as they can be great tools to do your listing presentation, show video tours of homes, read documents, as well as multiple online publications. You can even update your blog from it as you sit in your car.

7. Chris O'Connor on September 8th, 2010 3:51 pm

I just called Pinellas Realtor Organization and they said our MLS doesn’t run on Safari. If it did I would be in my car right now in pursuit of an iPad. Thanks for your comment. 🙂

8. Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa on September 14th, 2010 1:45 pm

I have been to a few GTAR Meetings Chris, and counted many Apple IPads.
    I like all things Apple, go figure!
    Great Post BTW!

9. Mark Walker on September 18th, 2010 12:56 pm

I’ve owned an ipad for a few weeks now. I find it great for doing work on the fly and updating my blog… youi can also get apps to remote into your home computer.
    Mark

10. Peerless Roof Cleaning Tampa on October 1st, 2010 6:51 pm

I love my ipad for showcasing pictures of homes.

11. Atlanta Homes on October 2nd, 2010 10:10 pm

Same in Atlanta. Our FMLS runs entirely on FLASH.

Unreal!

12. Delsh on January 5th, 2011 11:01 pm

I love my ipad. Remote operations applications are an advantage for it.. Its a must in my backpack when I am on move.

13. Portable Hard Drives on January 6th, 2011 8:03 am

14. Gopinivas grand kanyakumari on January 25th, 2011 7:11 am

The main problem is that you can’t run Internet Explorer on the iPad.

15. Joe on October 10th, 2011 12:53 pm

Chris, I realize that this post is a year old. Your remarks are a non sequitur for Realtors in general. The Apple iPhone and iPad technologies are a fact of life in Realty sales – they use the same technology (i.e. smart-phone apps) and are being used by clients who are actively searching properties. Furthermore, they can be used while mobile (i.e. in a car or on while on-site inspecting properties). These smart-phone are invaluable for near-instantaneous and effective property research and communications for clients. *This* is why iPhone/iPad/Smart-Phone technology is so important to realtors. It is *not* a fad, rather it is another tool and a very important one.

The current statistical trends are Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome browsers on PC, and Smart-Phone apps (both iPhone & Google Android). Realtors should being familiar with those software technologies.

16. Chris O'Connor on October 10th, 2011 1:27 pm

You clearly have a reading comprehension problem. I didn’t say the iPad isn’t good for “Realtors in general.” I said, “In my opinion the Apple iPad is currently a waste of money for Tampa Bay Realtors.” Tampa Bay Realtors use an MLS software that only runs on Internet Explorer. It doesn’t work on Firefox or Safari. This is a continuous source of frustration for Tampa Bay Realtors. We are well well aware of the benefits and features of the iPad, which is why we’re frustrated. We cannot currently use the iPad to access MLS until our MLS figures out a way to allow the software to work with the Safari browser.

“It is *not* a fad…”

Who said it was a fad? I never said it was a fad. You’re sure putting words into my mouth.

“BTW, the impression that “Internet Explorer is some de facto standard” is a false one. In fact, in mid-2011 world wide usage of Internet Explorer is less than 23% of the browser market. It is a fallacy and professionally risky to continue thinking Internet Explorer is driving the market.”

Speaking of “fallacies” you’re using the inductive logical fallacy of a strawman. It is pretty easy to knock such a strawman down and you do a fine job. But I never said anything about the percentage of people using IE vs. FF. I use FF exclusively and only switch to IE when I need to access MLS. If our MLS software would work on the Safari browser I would probably never again launch IE. You haven’t taught me anything, but after looking at your “SEO” site it looks like I could teach you a few things. No wonder you have Page Rank 0. Your site is a textbook example of what NOT to do for SEO.