Florida Notary Public Maximum Fees

September 8, 2010

Florida Notary Public - FlagToday I was discussing Notary Public fees with a new Florida Notary Public and she was asking me about what she is legally allowed to charge for her notarial services. So I thought I’d make a post here in case other Florida Notaries have the same question. The state of Florida has set a legal maximum fee that a Notary Public can charge per notarial act.

Florida Notary Public Maximum Fee Schedule

• Acknowledgments – $10
  • Certified Copy – $10
  • Taking Inventory of a Safe-Deposit Box – $10
  • Jurats – $10
  • Marriages – $30
  • Oaths and Affirmations – $10
  • Verifying a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – $20

Florida Notaries always have the option to charge any amount less than the legal limit which includes the right to charge no fee at all.

Travel Fees

Florida Notaries are permitted to charge a travel fee and this amount is not specified by law. Such fees are to be discussed beforehand and the amount agreed upon by both parties. The signer should understand that the travel fee is not stipulated by law and is a private arrangement completely separate from the authorized notarial fees described above.

I personally charge anywhere from $20 to $45 for a travel fee. I hope this information helps other Florida Notaries.

Filed Under: Articles · Tags:

Comments

11 Responses to “Florida Notary Public Maximum Fees”

1. Gary @Florida Lighting on September 20th, 2010 6:56 am

I think this is a very fair price because they have to travel to you and have to pay for gas.

2. Simon Campbell on September 30th, 2010 9:21 am

I agree, these are great prices. Do all states have limits like these?

3. Tonya Osier on March 14th, 2011 10:55 pm

Thank you so much. This has helped me a lot. I’m new to being a Notary and trying to find the right legal fees and not to get into trouble is over whelming. I think I know my answer, but are the travel fees included or are they separate from the other fee? Again, Thank you.

4. Florida Notary on April 22nd, 2011 11:52 pm

I’m also a Florida Notary and find it funny that people complain about having to pay a $25 trip fee when I have to drive 25 minutes to their house. With the price of gas?

5. Julio Boveda on December 18th, 2011 9:19 pm

Are this prices per page?

6. Francy on January 22nd, 2012 12:14 am

■Acknowledgments – $10
    ■Certified Copy – $10
    ■Taking Inventory of a Safe-Deposit Box – $10
    ■Jurats – $10
    ■Marriages – $30
    ■Oaths and Affirmations – $10
    ■Verifying a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – $20

those are the prices per signature i think you are allowed to charge more so if there are 2 people signing it can double

7. Chris O'Connor on January 23rd, 2012 4:41 pm

I didn’t know that I could charge more if more than one person is signing. I’ll research this. Thank you very much for the helpful comment. 🙂

8. Melani Singer on January 25th, 2012 3:07 pm

Regarding for the information about Notary Fees, is their an actual Fee Card that I can offer clients when meeting them? How do you figure out the traveling charges? Thanks so much for this information.

9. Chris O'Connor on January 26th, 2012 12:25 am

Hi Melani,

Is there a fee card available? You might want to run a search on Google to see if someone makes a fee rate card but I don’t know of one personally. You could always create your own fee card and make a bunch of copies and keep them with your notary stuff at all times.

I charge $25 as a starting fee for notary jobs. I never notarize from my own home for common sense safety reasons. So $25 pays for my time for a local trip. If I have to drive 30 – 45 minutes I’ll charge $35 – $45 for a trip fee. Yes, this scares away many potential jobs but that’s OK. For me the time, energy and gas I expend is worth the fee I charge.

10. Joseph Federico on October 20th, 2012 6:39 am

I charge $1.00 per mile from my residence to the clients address. For 2012 the IRS allows 55.5 cents per mile so I’m basing my charge close to what it would cost me round-trip. Going back home after the services are completed burns fuel too. Plus $1.00 is a nice figure for clients, and myself, to remember and calculate easily. If you have a website you can embed Google maps with a default starting location, your address or just your zip code if safety is a concern.The client can then enter their address and calculate the travel charges themselves. If you charge for your travel time on top of fuel costs just adjust the per mile charge accordingly.

11. David on June 19th, 2014 12:12 pm

Ok,
    I just want to know how current this is.

I had a list of fees from 12/09…. IS there anything more current?