The risks of renting your house instead of selling

November 12, 2010

No, this not a reenactment. This is the real deal. I took these photos earlier today of a client’s duplex. His tenant abandoned the unit late at night about a week ago.

The scary thing is there is sufficient evidence to support the idea that this tenant was actually living in the property in this condition. Clearly, the water and power had been turned off for a long time at this address. Millions of maggots are pouring out of the refrigerator and flies are swarming. Everywhere you look there is food rotting on counters, in cabinets and all over the floor.

tenant trashes home

tenant trashes home

Next time you think of renting out your home think about the risks. This duplex brought the owner about $450 per month in rental income, but the clean up is probably going to cost several thousand dollars. A professional cleaning company will now need to be hired as it is unsafe to enter the property without a Hazmat suit and breather.

tenant trashes home

tenant trashes home

These photos were shot with my cell phone camera so they aren’t very high quality. To be honest the stench and flies were so overpowering that it was hard to keep my hands still long enough to take good photos. And I didn’t take pictures of the refrigerator because I was afraid to open it. Maggots were spilling out since the door was partially open.

tenant trashes home

tenant trashes home

tenant trashes home

tenant trashes home

tenant trashes home

Filed Under: Articles · Tags: , ,

Comments

11 Responses to “The risks of renting your house instead of selling”

1. Jim W on November 13th, 2010 12:36 pm

What kind of animal could live in such a place and let it get so nasty? Someone on drugs or seriously disturbed? This goes beyond laziness, this is gross neglect. I feel sorry for and sympathize with the owner of the house!

2. Bucks County DUI Attorney on November 18th, 2010 2:20 am

This is gross and a total mess. I feel very sorry for the owner of this house. You could’ve sue the tenant for damage of your property.

3. jon van der cheapski on November 22nd, 2010 5:44 am

I agree! what kind of animal does this to someone else’s property. Some people really do take the…. well you know what!! It’s disgusting how people can do this to others…treat them badly, rip them off, and lots more. I recently got totally ripped off with my van insurance. When are people going to change?!

4. Chris O'Connor on November 22nd, 2010 3:22 pm

Here is an update. The cost of cleanup is $2,400 and is underway right now. This is 5.33 months worth of rental income to clean up after the tenant trashed the property.

Another way of looking at it is as follows. The tenant stayed for a total of 2 years which is $10,800 total rental income for the property owner. This is $450 per month.

When you deduct the 2,400 cleanup fee the average monthly rental income goes from $450 to $350. Painful just to type.

5. Evan Grimm on November 22nd, 2010 11:48 pm

Hey Chris,
    I have been looking for a turn key gem like this, will you put an offer in for me?
    Thanks

6. Chris O'Connor on November 23rd, 2010 12:53 pm

LOL Unfortunately for you this “gem” is not for sale at this time.

I went by the duplex today to check up on how the cleaning company did with the clean up. They had to remove the toilet and replace it with a new one. The refrigerator also went straight into the dumpster.

The place is clean now believe it or not.

7. Sara on November 29th, 2010 9:40 am

That is disgraceful. Only one word for them – animals. In fact even animals wouldn’t live in such filth

8. Anders Gentile on November 30th, 2010 10:15 am

Jesus…It’s hard to believe someone could live in such a house for so long. Chris, did the tenant pay the last month’s rent? I pity the owner! Also update us with new pictures of the house after clean up, especially the toilet.

9. James Mikel on December 6th, 2010 2:34 pm

Yes indeed it is gross, but to the few who dare to go there it also spells money to be made. We have purchased many homes which looked exactly like this, usually from an owner who in discust and disbelief sold us the property in lieu of cleaning it out and renting it out again. Unfortunately we can’t find them fast enough. Know of a discusting home for sale in Citrus County, Let me know.

10. Mark@HomeownersInsurance on December 16th, 2010 5:12 am

These pictures are disgusting! We couldn’t believe people would actually live like that. Did the homeowner have a business policy or anything to protect them with something like this?

11. Minneapolis Real Estate on January 18th, 2011 11:41 pm

That’s truly a sad state that that house was left in. I sympathize with the owner as well. The amount he was receiving in rent doesn’t even remotely cover the cost of the clean-up. And I imagine that the tenant – since he darted off in the middle of the night and, by the sound of things, hadn’t payed his utility bills in quite a while – probably also didn’t have the money to pay rent during the last few months or so either. I truly sympathize with the home owner.