WANTED: Cat lover for 2 friendly cats – $25 adoption fee

October 2, 2008

I’m looking for an animal lover that would give 2 young cats a good home. The owner of these cats was the victim of a homicide recently. So in addition to losing their owner they are now homeless or strays. I’ve been doing my best to keep them fed and with fresh water, but the fact is they’re living outside on the patio of their past owners home. Every day I show up and spend a little time with them and refill their food and water, but this is not a good life for them. They aren’t showing any sign of wanting to wander away as this is where they were born and raised and loved and fed.

Both cats were very nervous when approached in early July. I have my opinion as to why. But now, after me feeding them and sitting with them a little every day, they allow me to pet them. And they love each other obviously. As you can see in the below pictures they sleep together and hang out with each other all day long. I believe the black and white cat is the older of the two, but both are related to each other.

I’m hoping to find someone that will take both cats and allow them to live together indoors. They will need the standard veterinary care such as vaccinations and possibly spaying or neutering. One is a boy and I didn’t snoop around to see what the other one is. The point is they are related or at least are friends and I want to find a home that will welcome them as a pair. If you want just one of the two cats please do reply, but if I can find a home for both cats that is the preference.

Please only reply if you have the $25 adoption fee, time, love and money to take care of two cats properly. If the $25 adoption fee scares you away then you can’t afford to own two cats. And if the cost of medical care frightens you then these cats shouldn’t be an option you’re considering. All pets need proper homes and I don’t want to turn these guys over to someone who will abuse, neglect or abandon them. Right now I have some control over their lives. When I turn them over I can no longer help them when someone decides to not feed them or take them to the vet when sick. Please, do not reply to this if you aren’t a cat lover or if you’re not interested in taking good care of them.

Why am I not taking the cats?

I would if I could, but I am very allergic to cats and dogs. The weird thing is my wife and I have a cat and I absolutely love him. Over time my allergies to him have diminished, but I do still struggle with sneezing and other allergy issues. One cat is all my health can handle.

What do I have to do to get these cats?

You can email me at chris@callchristoday or call me at 727-804-5319 or post a reply to this message. Please understand that I am looking for a good home for them so I won’t just turn them over to someone I don’t feel I can trust. Say a few words to make me realize you actually do love animals and plan to be a good owner. I’d rather keep feeding them and giving them water than turn them over to an abusive or neglectful person. I’m sure you will understand if you’re a true animal lover too.

These two cats are the last of about 8 cats that lived in the victims home. Some of them I took to the Humane Society, but a little research has now shown me that these cats are probably dead now. The Humane Society euthanizes about 70% of the cats brought in. Not good odds. I refuse to take these two cats to such a fate. One cat was adopted by my wife’s good friend and is now living a very happy life in an indoor, clean and safe environment. That’s my goal with these two cats.

I can see it in your eyes. You’re thinking, “Wow, those little guys sure are cute. Maybe I should talk to the wife about adopting these cats. We’ve been talking about getting a pet.”

Oh, just do it. Stop wondering. Look at these cats. Wouldn’t they look even better lying next to you on the couch while you read the Sunday newspaper?

Fine, you don’t read the newspaper. You’re more of a TV watcher. So edit my scenario. Close your eyes and picture watching Fox News with your new friends curled up at your feet.

You don’t watch Fox News? Hey, work with me here. Do you want these cats or what? Sure you do.

So call Chris today at 727-804-5319.

Filed Under: Articles · Tags: ,

Comments

6 Responses to “WANTED: Cat lover for 2 friendly cats – $25 adoption fee”

1. Susan Bagwell on October 2nd, 2008 10:40 pm

Just wanted to say I think it’s great that you’re doing so much to find these adorable kitties a new home! I’m sure the blessings will come back to you one day. I found your website from your posting on Craigslist. I just received a couple of kitties from someone on Craigslist recently who wanted the pair to stay together. (And I was only looking for one!) I now have four so I don’t have room for any more but I wish you luck in finding a good home for them.

2. Chris O'Connor on October 2nd, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the kind comments. I’m obviously an animal lover as are you. This has been a great struggle for me. These little cats are completely helpless and dependent on human empathy, compassion and kindness. And truthfully all of the responsibility for all 8 of these cats has fallen on my shoulders. Not because someone delegated the job to me, but because I don’t have it in me to let these animals suffer and eventually starve to death. People assume cats can fend for themselves and find enough lizards and frogs to eat, but I’ve researched it and learned that they can’t survive on their own. And at the very least, the ones that do survive have quite a rough life compared to living in a comfortable and safe home with plenty of food and attention.

I’m hoping someone replies and puts a little effort into telling me how they’ll care for these guys. My wife and I placed an ad on Craig’s List a few weeks ago and some young guy called and was distraught about having to pay $25.00. Now I see why Craig’s List doesn’t allow you to give away animals for free. If someone cannot pay $25.00 towards adopting a cat or dog how in the heck will they afford cat or dog food or veterinary care? What happens when the cat or dog gets worms or fleas or maybe even cancer? Animal abuse freaks me out. So I don’t want to run the risk of giving these cats to someone that will put them in a worse situation than they are in now.

Again, thanks for the reply to the ad. Feel free to look around my site. If you need a Realtor for anything (including mowing your yard) give me a buzz. LOL OK, just kidding. I don’t do yards. But in this real estate market I might have to start soon.

3. Tarah on October 16th, 2008 10:43 pm

These cats are adorable and I hope someone comes along to give them a home soon.

4. Chris O'Connor on October 16th, 2008 10:55 pm

Thank you for the kind comments. I’ve been referred to a cat shelter called “Second Chance for Strays” and I believe I will give these cats to them soon. They have a no kill policy and this is what matters most to me. I sure hope they can find them a home together because they sure love to be together.

Turns out the grayish cat is a female. She is probably 8 or 9 months old. I can’t be sure. And the black and white cat is clearly older, but again I have no idea on his true age.

A few months ago, right after their owner was murdered, these cats were extremely afraid of people. They wouldn’t come near anyone even when I offered food and water. After I walked away they would run to the food and water so I know they did appreciate the gesture. But for some reason they were extremely spooked by humans.

Things have changed though and both cats come running when they see me approaching. They rub against my legs…almost tripping me. Why do cats do this? It is so strange. LOL Our cat does the same thing. We always have to watch where we’re walking or he will walk and stop right in front of us.

Both cats love for me to pet them now and they roll around at my feet while I run their bellies. The gray cat was the most afraid of the two, but now he jumps up into my lap purring. And if I dare to pet the black and white he goes nuts and rubs all over me trying to get some attention for himself.

I really would love to keep these cats but I am so allergic it is just impossible. Even taking allergy pills all the time doesn’t seem to help. For some reason I have adapted to our own cat. He sleeps on my wife’s head….or with his nose and paws nuzzled up in her hair, and my allergies can cope with this. I’m really glad about this too because I am a complete animal lover and I’d not complain about him sleeping with us even if I was sneezing all night long.

There is still a chance for someone to claim these cats if they are interested. All I care about is that they find a good loving home so please email me if you’re reading this and feel you would make a good home for them. Thank you.

5. Cat Lover on October 31st, 2008 12:07 am

Very cute cats. I hope you find them homes.

6. Animal videos on May 14th, 2012 4:38 pm

Animal shelters are a great refuge for abused animals. But what happens when the people who run the shelters that take in the animals don’t care about them? Sometimes, the abuse they suffer in these shelters is worse than if the animals were just left out on the street.